An AFCI/LMGI Collaboration
Location Management 101 is the first course developed collaboratively by the Association of Film Commissioners International (AFCI) and the Location Managers Guild International (LMGI). It provides an introduction to the art of Location Management for feature films, television, commercials and other creative projects. This course will give the participant an overview of the work typically performed by professional location scouts, location managers and members of their team.
After taking this course, you will be able to discuss and identify:
- The definition and characteristics of a “location”
- Common traits and skills required to be a location manager
- The duties and responsibilities of a location manager
- Ways a location manager interacts with various departments within a production
- Ways a location manager interacts with film commissions and members of the general public
This course has two chapters. There are eight lessons in Chapter One, and ten lessons in Chapter Two. Randomly placed within each chapter are a series of quizzes with multiple choice questions designed to test your knowledge of the material presented in the various lessons. This course registers your progress. After you read a lesson, click the “Mark Complete” button, then click on the “Next Lesson” button to ensure your progress is recorded. When you reach a quiz, click on the text bar to open the quiz. You’ll have the opportunity to retake each quiz as many times as necessary to achieve a passing grade. Once all lessons are completed and all quizzes have been passed, you’ll receive a joint AFCI/LMGI authorized certificate of completion.
A glossary of common production terms has been created to assist you with this course. Please click here to access and download this document. You may want to keep it handy as you proceed through this course to help you fully understand the content.
- There are references throughout this course to standards and practices that are commonly used in North America, but may not exist or be necessary in other regions of the world.
- At the time this course was written, standard health and safety protocols for filming during the COVID-19 pandemic were still being developed, implemented and evaluated. Information on COVID-19 procedures will be revised as the science evolves.
COURSE CREATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS
LMGI: Mike Fantasia, Hans Dayal, Becky Brake, Timothy Hillman, Leah Sokolowsky
AFCI: Jess Conoplia, Marjorie Galas
CHAPTER ONE: THE ROLE
CHAPTER TWO: THE ROLE WITHIN THE PRODUCTION